|Submitted||June 30, 2020|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the New York Freedom of Information Law, I hereby request the following records:
All and any records in any language concerning Mr George Salomon (1920-1981), with particular reference to the FBI’s investigation of him for supposed communist assocatons in the 1950s onwards.
• Full name: Mr George Gerhard Salomon (nee Georg Gerhard Salomon)
• Born: Hamburg, Germany, on April 23, 1920.
• Died: Great Neck, NY 11024, USA, on May 8, 1981.
• SSN: 072-16-4070
• Last address: 5 Old Tree Lane, Great Neck, New York 11024-1405, USA.
• Address in 1956: 135 Windermere Drive, Yonkers, NY
• Phone in 1956: MUrray Hill 6-0342
• Parents: Richard Salomon and Gertrud Salomon.
• Spouse: Mathilde N Loewen (married 1944, in Manhattan, NY, NY).
• Profession: graphic designer, and author on Jewish matters
• Notable achievement: Design of the first modern map of the New York City subway map.
Reason for request:
• According to an interview recorded with Mr Salomon’s sons: during the 1950s the FBI made enquiries with Mr Salomon’s neighbours, insinuating he was a communist. In fact, he was vehemently against communism. His sons believe that the suspicions arose purely because Mr Salomon spoke with a strong German accent and had an austere manner.
• The information will be used in the preparation of a self-published scholarly book on the historical development of the New York City subway map. The requester has previously published a book and two peer-reviewed papers on this subject.
Note: This request was made previously (FOIPA Request No. 1337238-000) but deemed to have been withdrawn as documentary proof of Mr Salomon’s death was not available. This has now been acquired and documentary evidence, including a published obituary, is attached.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 5 business days, as the statute requires.
Peter B Lloyd
There are eFOIA files available for you to download.