Mortality Data and Related Policies, 2000-2020
|Submitted||June 23, 2021|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
From: COVID Prison Project
Public Records Manager
Nebraska Department of Corrections
801 W Prospector Pl,
Lincoln, NE 68522
To Kathleen Kokensparger:
Pursuant to the Nebraska Public Records Law § 84-712 et seq., I hereby request the following records:
– Files which include time and date of all instances of death occurring in the offender population between January 2000 and December 2020.
– Files which indicate the total number of individuals in Nebraska Department of Corrections (NDOC) custody who died by any cause, separated monthly, from January 2000 to December 2020.
– Monthly population records that include the total number of deaths occurring among people in the custody of the NDOC between January 2000 and December 2020.
– Final reports of death for all individuals in NDOC custody who died between January 2000 and December 2020.
Additionally, I am requesting an opportunity to inspect or obtain copies of any and all NDOC policies, regulations, and procedures, pertaining to...
– Investigations of in-custody deaths.
– Requirements for the performance of an autopsy or post-mortem medical examination of individuals who die while in NDOC custody.
– The reporting of in-custody deaths to other governmental agencies.
– Next-of-kin notification in the event of in-custody deaths.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
The Nebraska Public Records Law requires a response time of four business days. If access to the records I am requesting will take longer than this amount of time, please contact me with information about when I might expect copies or the ability to inspect the requested records.
If you deny any or all of this request, please cite each specific exemption you feel justifies the refusal to release the information and notify me of the appeal procedures available to me under the law.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated assistance in this matter.
Research Assistant, COVID Prison Project
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Office: (919) 391-7962
340 MacNider Hall | Campus Box 7240
333 South Columbia Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7240
From: Muckrock Staff
To Whom It May Concern:
I wanted to follow up on the following Nebraska Public Records Act request, copied below, and originally submitted on June 23, 2021. Please let me know when I can expect to receive a response.
Thanks for your help, and let me know if further clarification is needed.
From: Department of Correctional Services
Attached is NDCS’ response to your request for public records.
Public Records Manager | CENTRAL OFFICE
Nebraska Department of Correctional Services
corrections.nebraska.gov<https://mail.nebraska.gov/owa/redir.aspx?C=3tXpjzPHdUgAAM5iZyaZ3A-T_EDw-34iGlngmLlnenGsmBMvij7WCA..&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.corrections.nebraska.gov%2f> |Facebook<https://mail.nebraska.gov/owa/redir.aspx?C=hn51PO6-_gxC6CQ3djTJOQtClorILZHLDNrGqpqA6yqsmBMvij7WCA..&URL=https%3a%2f%2fwww.facebook.com%2fNECorrections> | Twitter<https://mail.nebraska.gov/owa/redir.aspx?C=_qR2HZ-wRPgar_KdQgXT6ZkSlPKcTwIulVjNFAxYVmKsmBMvij7WCA..&URL=https%3a%2f%2ftwitter.com%2fNECorrections>