|Submitted||June 2, 2017|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the Iowa Open Records Law (Code Chapter 22), I hereby request the following records:
Any and all statistics, data, reports, audits, policies, and procedures pertaining to the following items regarding sexual assault evidence collection (SAEC) kits (also known as "rape kits") and processing:
• all standard operating procedures regarding the SAEC process
• any written policies or procedures regarding department practices on the acquisition of or handling of rape kit evidence, including protocols for its collection, testing, and delegation and transfer to all other possibly relevant locations, laboratories, or agencies
• the number of kits collected and booked into evidence from the period of January 1, 2000 through the date this request is processed
• the number of kits that have been processed by a public or private crime or forensic laboratory or equivalent processing location from the period of January 1, 2000 through the date this request is processed
• the number of unprocessed kits in any storage facilities currently under the department’s jurisdiction and control, including those held by medical personnel or at external laboratory locations
• any materials regarding the status or ultimate disposition of cases in which a kit was collected. Please include all available segregable data.
• all audits involving this agency regarding the collection or backlog of SAEC kits
• all proposed alterations or yet-to-be-implemented changes to the policies and procedures regarding the collection, testing, and use of SAEC kits
If there any questions about this request, please feel free to call us at the MuckRock office at 617-299-1832.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 10 business days, as the statute requires.
To Whom It May Concern:
I wanted to follow up on the following Freedom of Information request, copied below, and originally submitted on June 2, 2017. Please let me know when I can expect to receive a response, or if further clarification is needed.
Thanks for your help, and let me know if further clarification is needed.
Per your request,
The Mount Pleasant Police Dept. has collected nine (9) sexual assault kits
since 2000. All kits were submitted to the Iowa State Crime Lab for
examination. Sexual assault kits are collected through the local hospital by
medical staff then turned over to the police dept. and held in evidence
until submitted to the crime lab. All kits are placed back into evidence
after they are returned to the PD from the crime lab. We have no specific
policy regarding the handling of sexual assault kits.
Chief Ron Archer
Thanks so much for your help with this request! I really appreciate it.
There are no files associated with this request.