|Multi Request||Police data collection project|
|Submitted||July 5, 2020|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the The Missouri Sunshine Law, I hereby request the following records:
1. the total number of use of force incidents, separated by year and by type of force used from 2016-2019 (for example, "27 taser incidents in 2016, 3 baton incidents in 2017, etc.)
2. the total number of civilian complaints alleging any form of law enforcement misconduct that were reported and the total number sustained, separated by year (for example, 8 complaints in 2016, 2 complaints sustained in 2017, 4 complaints in 2018, 1 complaint sustained in 2019, etc.)
3. the total number of civilian complaints alleging law enforcement use of excessive force that were reported and the total number sustained from 2016-2019, separated by year
4. the total number of civilian complaints alleging biased policing or racial profiling that were reported and the total number sustained from 2016-2019, separated by year
Note that my requests for civilian complaints are specifically for civilian complaints alleging police misconduct, please do not include complaints filed by one officer/the department against another officer.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 3 business days, as the statute requires.
I forwarded the request to our Records Custodian and she was able to gather the following documents. Please read the numbered responses below to see if this response will meet your needs. If you do need additional work completed (as in #3), we can provide an estimate for the cost before production:
1. See attached use of force analysis for 2016-2019 which contains the requested information
2. Reference our website as this information is published in our annual report https://cityofls.net/police-department/public-information/publications-and-reports
3. Number would be included in the annual report with #2 above (not separate). We do not have a report that contains the specific requested information. To obtain this information, the requestor will need to pay the time for us to research and produce the requested information. Let us know if requested and we will provide an estimated cost to be paid prior to production.
4. See attached bias based analysis for 2016-2019 which contains the requested information
Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Joshua Ward #0604
Records Clerk/Liquor Coordinator
Lee's Summit Police Department