|Multi Request||Geolocation data providers|
|Submitted||July 7, 2021|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) seeks records describing the relationship between your agency and third-party providers of geolocation data. In particular, we seek records related to:
• the location data provider Gravy Analytics and its subsidiary Venntel
• Babel Street’s service Locate X
• the location data provider INRIX
For the purposes of this request, the term “geolocation data” refers to GPS data acquired from cell phone apps, connected vehicles, or other connected devices, or from third-party aggregators of such data, which pertains to the location of individual persons or devices, whether identified or de-identified.
We request the following records for the period between January 1, 2015 and the present:
• All contracts or written agreements between Department of Corrections, or consultants thereof, and Gravy Analytics, Venntel, or Babel Street;
• All presentations, marketing materials, or proposals by contractors, subcontractors, or consultants working with Department of Corrections relating to the use of geolocation data from Gravy Analytics, Venntel, or Babel Street;
• All technical documentation, guides, presentations, or policies describing access to, storage of, or use of geolocation data acquired from Gravy Analytics, Venntel, or Babel Street;
• All written communications, emails, and attachments between Department of Corrections and Gravy Analytics, Venntel, or Babel Street;
• All written communications, emails, attachments, contracts, presentations, technical documentation, and other materials between Department of Corrections and INRIX or referencing INRIX.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Investigative Researcher, Electronic Frontier Foundation
Good afternoon, I received the attached public data request. The Minnesota Department of Corrections does not have a relationship with Gravy Analytics or its subsidiary Venntel, Babel Street or INRIX therefore we are not able to provide the specific information you are requesting related to these providers.
Heidi Heinzel, MPA
Grants and Subsidies Unit
Minnesota Department of Corrections
St Paul, MN
Office Cell: 651-363-4403
**Permanently teleworking – only available via email and/or cell phone
Transforming Lives for a Safer Minnesota | mn.gov/doc<https://www.mn.gov/doc>
[Minnesota Department of Corrections logo]
Hello, Heinzel —
Thank you so much for this response to my request. I’ve noted that your office isn’t aware of any responsive materials. I’ll let you know if I have any other questions.
Your time and help with this request are greatly appreciated, and I hope you have a very nice week!