|Submitted||Feb. 18, 2022|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the Michigan Freedom of Information Act, I hereby request the following records:
1) The university’s contract(s) with EAB for financial aid optimization and enrollment management services.
2) All financial aid optimization and enrollment management analyses performed by EAB and provided to the university from the beginning of the university’s contract until the present.
3) All financial aid and/or enrollment model scenario documents (i.e., records describing how proposed financial aid/enrollment strategies will affect the study body, yield, revenue, etc.) provided to the university by EAB during the course of its contract.
4) Documentation of the financial aid optimization and/or enrollment management statistical model(s) built for the university by EAB. This should include any documents describing the variables incorporated into the model(s) and how those variables are weighted, the model(s)' accuracy metrics (such as AUC), the model(s)' parameters, the machine learning techniques employed, and any validation or disparate impact analyses performed.
5) A de-identified copy of the input and output data from any EAB enrollment and/or financial aid models used by the university for the most recent available incoming class (the 2021-22 class if available, the 2020-2021 class if not, etc). This should include fields for all predictions/outputs made by the models (e.g., that a student is less likely, neutral, likely, etc. to attend if admitted) as well as fields for all university-supplied input data used to generate those predictions (e.g., GPA, zip code, test scores, race, major, etc.). Please note, I am not asking for any personally identifiable information about students. Rather, I'm asking for a copy of the dataset that excludes identifiable information such as student names and street addresses. This can easily be done by removing those columns from the spreadsheet.
I ask that all fees be waived as I am a journalist and intend to use the requested records to publish articles in the public interest. In the event you choose to impose fees, I request a detailed breakdown of the fees, including the hourly wage of each employee involved and an explanation justifying the employee hours required to fulfill the request.
Should you choose to reject this request or redact portions of it, I ask that you provide a detailed breakdown of the statutory exemptions and associated case law underlying your decision to withhold each/any portions from public review.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 5 business days, as the statute requires.
Please see the attached document in response to your FOIA request.
Associate General Counsel & FOIA Coordinator
Office of General Counsel
Grand Valley State University
4068 James H. Zumberge Hall
Allendale, MI 49401
The content of this email is confidential and intended only for the recipient(s) specified. If you received this message by mistake, please reply so the sender can correct the error, and then delete this email immediately. Do NOT forward it to a third party without the written consent of the sender.