Police Data Collection Request (2021)
|Submitted||June 12, 2022|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
From: Samuel Sinyangwe
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the Texas Public Information Act, I hereby request the following records:
1. the total number of use of force incidents, separated by type of force and year used in 2021 (for example, information that specifies the number of taser incidents in 2021, baton incidents in 2021, etc.)
2. the total number of civilian complaints alleging any form of law enforcement misconduct that were reported and the total number sustained in 2021.
3. the total number of civilian complaints alleging law enforcement use of excessive force that were reported and the total number sustained in 2021.
4. the total number of civilian complaints alleging biased policing or racial profiling that were reported and the total number sustained in 2021.
5. the total number of civilian complaints alleging criminal conduct that were reported and the total number sustained in 2021.
6. the total number of officer involved shootings in 2021, both fatal and non-fatal.
When available, I would appreciate being sent individualized data for each item in this request in spreadsheet format. If individualized data are unavailable, please send information that includes aggregate statistics for the item instead.
Note that my requests for civilian complaints are specifically for civilian complaints alleging police misconduct, please do not include complaints filed by one officer/the department against another officer.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 10 business days, as the statute requires.
From: McAllen Police Department
We are in receipt of your request. Your request has been forwarded to our Police Department for processing. The law requires the City to provide the information or tell you when it will be available. You will be contacted once the requested information has been gathered.
Should you have any questions or wish to discuss this further, you may contact our Crime Records Office at (956) 681-2080.
City of McAllen
Please see attached response to public information request.
Lisa M. Barreiro
Crime Records Bureau
McAllen Police Department
Disclaimer: If you are not the intended recipient or have received this e-mail in error, please notify me via return e-mail and telephone at 956-681-3111, and permanently delete and purge the original and any copy thereof. This e-mail, with attachments hereto, if any, is intended only for receipt and use by the addressee(s) named herein, and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. Regardless of address or routing, if you are not the intended recipient, then you are hereby notified that any use, copying, reproduction, dissemination, distribution, or transmission of this e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is strictly prohibited. Whereas all reasonable steps have been taken to ensure the accuracy and confidentiality of the information and data submitted herein, the City of McAllen and its employees are not liable if information or data is corrupted or does not reach its intended destination.