|Submitted||Nov. 29, 2012|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the state Freedom of Information Act, G.L.M. c.66, §10, I hereby request the following records:
1. any requests for proposals, proposals submitted by vendors, contracts, budgets or cost allocations for the purchase, research of and/or use of aerial drones, UAs, UAVs, and UASs (hereinafter “drones”);
2. any policies, guidelines, manuals and/or instructions on institutional use of drones, including on the legal process required (such as a warrant or court order), if any, before operating a drone;
3. any departmental records concerning this institution's use of and/or research of drones now or plans to use drones in the future including:
a. the types of investigations or instances in which this department is using or plans to use drones, or how it plans to support, manage or oversee the usage of drones by another department or office;
b. policies, guidelines, manuals and/or instructions on storage requirements or procedures for video or static images obtained through use of drones, including retention times;
c. the altitude at which drones can or do fly;
d. drones’ ability to carry weapons.
I also request that, if appropriate, fees be waived as we believe this request is in the public interest, as suggested but not stipulated by the recommendations of the Massachusetts Supervisor of Public Records. The requested documents will be made available to the general public free of charge as part of the public information service at MuckRock.com, processed by a representative of the news media/press and is made in the process of news gathering and not for commercial usage.
I expect the request to be filled in an accessible format, including for screen readers, which provide text-to-speech for persons unable to read print. Files that are not accessible to screen readers include, for example, .pdf image files as well as physical documents.
In the event that fees cannot be waived, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 10 business days, as the statute requires.
Please accept this notice as confirmation of receipt of your FOIA request. I will begin compiling the information that you have requested, and will advise you of cost, if any, prior to sending it to you. I anticipate your package of information would be available to you on or before December 18th.
No charge at this time for this request.
The Metropolitan Law Enforcement Council is in receipt of your letter requesting records from us under the Freedom of Information Act. Your responses are in the same numerical order as your request.
1. The agreement between the company and Metropolitan Law Enforcement Council is attached as "Teaming Agreement"
2. The requirements of the FAA that must be completed prior to METROLEC beginning to train with this drone are quite labor intensive. As of this date, we have not completed the requirements and as a result have not trained, operated or begun to formulate any documents pertaining to this vehicle.
3c. the altitude at which drones can or do fly - Up to 400'AGL per FAA
restrictions and COA rules
3d. drones ability to carry weapons - Skate does not carry weapons and is
not capable of it
Dear Chief McGowan:
Thank you for your quick response and for sending along the Teaming Agreement. It seems at least one annex is missing from the file you sent, however. Could you send the Bailment Agreement (Annex 1)?
Thanks for your help with this request.
Sorry for the oversight. Attached, per your followup request is a copy of the bailment agreement.
To Whom It May Concern:
I wanted to follow up on the following Freedom of Information request, copied below, and originally submitted on Nov. 29, 2012. Please let me know when I can expect to receive a response, or if further clarification is needed.
Thank you for your help.
What is it you are requesting ?
I apologize, our system automatically sent messages in error this morning.
Thank you for providing the documents you've already sent. If we have additional records requests we'll pass them along.