|Multi Request||Geolocation data providers|
|Submitted||July 7, 2021|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) seeks records describing the relationship between your agency and third-party providers of geolocation data. In particular, we seek records related to:
• the location data provider Gravy Analytics and its subsidiary Venntel
• Babel Street’s service Locate X
• the location data provider INRIX
For the purposes of this request, the term “geolocation data” refers to GPS data acquired from cell phone apps, connected vehicles, or other connected devices, or from third-party aggregators of such data, which pertains to the location of individual persons or devices, whether identified or de-identified.
We request the following records for the period between January 1, 2015 and the present:
• All contracts or written agreements between Department of Correction, or consultants thereof, and Gravy Analytics, Venntel, or Babel Street;
• All presentations, marketing materials, or proposals by contractors, subcontractors, or consultants working with Department of Correction relating to the use of geolocation data from Gravy Analytics, Venntel, or Babel Street;
• All technical documentation, guides, presentations, or policies describing access to, storage of, or use of geolocation data acquired from Gravy Analytics, Venntel, or Babel Street;
• All written communications, emails, and attachments between Department of Correction and Gravy Analytics, Venntel, or Babel Street;
• All written communications, emails, attachments, contracts, presentations, technical documentation, and other materials between Department of Correction and INRIX or referencing INRIX.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Investigative Researcher, Electronic Frontier Foundation
Please see the attached response to your records request.
Director of Communications
Massachusetts Department of Correction
50 Maple Street
Milford, MA 01757
Phone: (508) 422-3436
Fax: (508) 422-3406