|Multi Request||Geolocation data providers|
|Submitted||July 7, 2021|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) seeks records describing the relationship between your agency and third-party providers of geolocation data. In particular, we seek records related to:
• the location data provider Gravy Analytics and its subsidiary Venntel
• Babel Street’s service Locate X.
For the purposes of this request, the term “geolocation data” refers to GPS data acquired from cell phone apps, connected vehicles, or other connected devices, or from third-party aggregators of such data, which pertains to the location of individual persons or devices, whether identified or de-identified.
We request the following records for the period between January 1, 2015 and the present:
- All contracts or written agreements between Office of the Attorney General - Maryland, or consultants thereof, and Gravy Analytics, Venntel, or Babel Street;
- All presentations, marketing materials, or proposals by contractors, subcontractors, or consultants working with Office of the Attorney General - Maryland relating to the use of geolocation data from Gravy Analytics, Venntel, or Babel Street;
- All technical documentation, guides, presentations, or policies describing access to, storage of, or use of geolocation data acquired from Gravy Analytics, Venntel, or Babel Street;
- All written communications, emails, and attachments between Office of the Attorney General - Maryland and Gravy Analytics, Venntel, or Babel Street;
- All written communications, emails, and attachments between Office of the Attorney General - Maryland and INRIX.
If your office or agency contracts with a company not named here for geolocation data, provision of the alternate organization and equivalent responsive materials would be greatly appreciated.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public. This request is being made in the public interest and is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Investigative Researcher, Electronic Frontier Foundation
To Whom It May Concern:
I wanted to follow up on the following Maryland Public Information Act request, copied below, and originally submitted on July 7, 2021. Please let me know when I can expect to receive a response.
Thanks for your help, and let me know if further clarification is needed.
Dear Ms. Lipton,
After a search, we found no documents responsive to the below request under the Maryland Public Information Act. Please let us know if you have any questions. If you believe that anything about this response is inconsistent with our obligations under the Act, you may also refer those concerns to the Office of the Public Access Ombudsman under Subtitle 4-1B of the General Provisions Article. If you wish to contact the Office of the Ombudsman, you may do so by email addressed to email@example.com or by phone at (410) 576-6560. You may also be entitled to seek judicial review under § 4-362 of the General Provisions Article.
[Office of the Attorney General]
Patrick B. Hughes
Chief Counsel, Opinions & Advice
Office of the Attorney General
200 Saint Paul Place
Baltimore, Maryland 21202
The information contained in this communication (including any attachments) may be confidential and legally privileged. This email may not serve as a contractual agreement unless explicit written agreement for this purpose has been made. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication or any of its contents is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please re-send this communication to the sender indicating that it was received in error and delete the original message and any copy of it from your computer system.
There are no files associated with this request.