|Multi Request||Request for death records|
|Submitted||June 11, 2020|
|Due||June 27, 2020|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To whom it may concern:
This is a request pursuant to the California Public Records Act. We are requesting all death records dating back to Jan. 1, 2020, with the following information for each case:
- case number
- decedent name
- date of death
- location of death
- whether injury/infection occurred at work
- incident location (street address, city, state, ZIP where injury/infection occurred)
- incident date
- decedent residence (street address, city, state, ZIP)
- cause(s) of death (indicating if COVID related)
- contributing factors
- any other non-exempt information contained in case records
This request is part of an ongoing collaboration involving the John S. Knight Journalism Fellowships at Stanford University, the MuckRock Foundation and partner newsrooms across the country. This request is part of a news-gathering process and is intended for educational, not commercial use.
We request expedited processing to the extent possible. This information is critical to the public’s understanding of the coronavirus pandemic and its local impact on public health. Let us know if we can help clarify this request in any way. Please also consider waiving any fees for producing the requested records.
Please provide the data in spreadsheet format as an e-mail attachment.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. We look forward to receiving your response to this request within 10 calendar days, as the statute requires.
John S. Knight Journalism Fellow
To Whom It May Concern:
I wanted to follow up on the following California Public Records Act request, copied below, and originally submitted on June 11, 2020. Please let me know when I can expect to receive a response.
Thanks for your help, and let me know if further clarification is needed.
Please find attached correspondence in re your above listed PRA request.
Robert L. Smith
Civil Legal Specialist
Office of the County Counsel
3501 Civic Center Dr, Rm 275
San Rafael, CA 94903
Email Disclaimer: https://www.marincounty.org/main/disclaimers
Thank you for your response.
Per CA Government Code 6253.1(a), please describe the information technology in which the requested records exist, and provide suggestions for accessing the requested electronic records (not the physical logbook described in the response):
When a member of the public requests to inspect a public record or obtain a copy of a public record, the public agency, in order to assist the member of the public make a focused and effective request that reasonably describes an identifiable record or records, shall do all of the following, to the extent reasonable under the circumstances:
(1) Assist the member of the public to identify records and information that are responsive to the request or to the purpose of the request, if stated.
(2) Describe the information technology and physical location in which the records exist.
(3) Provide suggestions for overcoming any practical basis for denying access to the records or information sought.
John S. Knight Journalism Fellow