|Submitted||Aug. 27, 2019|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the Louisiana Public Records Law, I hereby request the following records:
OneZero recently reported that this agency has access to facial recognition software (https://onezero.medium.com/new-orleans-police-claim-not-to-use-facial-recognition-tech-emails-reveal-thats-not-totally-true-465f8cd9a71c)
Therefore, I request the following records:
• All records regarding the purchase of, acquisition of, installation of, subscription to, payment for, or agreements concerning software designed to recognize a face as an object in a video or image, analyze the visible facial data, and predict or verify that person's identity using other images or videos in the owner's possession.
• Any and all contracts (as well as all associated amendments, exhibits, and materials), memorandums of understanding, and other equivalent agreements entered into by this agency with any software or equipment company providing services related to facial recognition. Examples of facial recognition services include but *are not limited to* the following companies and softwares:
— Kairos, Kairos IMRSV
— Amazon Rekognition, Amazon Orbeus
— Microsoft Computer Vision API, Microsoft Video API, Microsoft Azure Face API, Microsoft Emotion API
— Open CV
— Google Cloud Vision API
— IBM Watson Visual Recognition, IBM Alchemy
— DeepPY, PCV, Caffe
— NEC Face Recognition
— Apple Emotient, Apple FaceFirst, Apple Polar Rose, Apple RealFace, Apple Regaind
— Facebook Face.com, Facebook Faciometrics, Facebook Msqrd
— Intel Itseez
— Google, Viewdle, Google PittPatt, Google AIMatter
Responsive materials should include but not be limited to:
• The initial Invitation to Bid, Request for Proposal, or equivalent call for contractors.
• Other bidder responses.
• The current contract.
• All exhibits.
• All amendments.
• All performance work statements.
• All deliverables inventories.
• All invoices related to the deliverance of facial recognition software, services, or goods.
Please also include:
• All records that contain any information about the functioning of software designed to perform facial recognition services that is used or has been used by this agency;
• All records regarding correspondence about or with a company that offers software designed to perform facial recognition services, including but not limited to all correspondence about or with companies offering facial recognition services;
• All policies related to the acquisition and use of facial recognition services by individual officers and representatives of this agency, including all records regarding the policies that govern access to or use of software designed to perform facial recognition services;
• All training materials and all records used to instruct members of your agency in the proper use of software designed to perform facial recognition functions or of the information such software is capable of accessing;
• All records regarding the sharing with entities outside this agency of information obtained from or obtained by using software designed to perform facial recognition services;
• All policies related to the acquisition and use of facial recognition software by individual officers and representatives of this agency;
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes. It will be used in the course of reporting for Motherboard, VICE’s science and technology website (www.motherboard.vice.com).
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 3 business days, as the statute requires.
Attached please find correspondence regarding your August 27, 2019 public records request.
Adrienne E. Aucoin
DPS/Office of Legal Affairs
P.O. Box 66614
Baton Rouge, LA 70896
Office Cell: 225.252.9444