|Submitted||July 22, 2021|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the Louisiana Public Records Law, I hereby request the following records:
Any raw data that the Senate and Governmental Affairs Committee has used or will use as part of the decennial redistricting process following the 2020 Census to draw draft and/or final district maps for the Louisiana House of Representatives, Louisiana State Senate, and U.S. Congressional districts, which could include any of the following:
-Primary, general, and special election results for any elections state legislative, US congressional, statewide candidate or ballot measure between 2011-2020
-Primary, general, and special election precinct boundaries for any elections between 2011-2020
-Voter registration and turnout data between 2011-2020
-Incarcerated population reallocation data
-Candidate and incumbent address data
-Voter file data
As well as any other data used by the Louisiana State Senate in preparing draft or final maps.
In addition to the raw data, which means the original data collected before it has been processed, transformed, or otherwise altered, I hereby request any documentation describing how the raw data was collected and processed for use in map drawing, as well as any internal communication among elected officials and/or government employees about data preparation, management, cleaning, formatting, or otherwise changing or manipulating the data, or about map drawing.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 3 business days, as the statute requires.
Dear Mr. Drechler:
I have received your request for certain raw data that the Senate and Governmental Affairs Committee has used or will use as part of the decennial redistricting process following the 2020 Census to draw draft or final district maps for the La. House of Representatives, the Louisiana State Senate and U.S. Congressional districts.
Please be advised that the Senate and Governmental Affairs Committee does not draw, and has not drawn draft or final district maps for the La. House of Representatives. You also provided a descriptive list of the items you seek, and the response is as follows:
1. Primary, general, and special election results for any elections-state legislative, U.S. congressional, statewide candidate or ballot measure between 2011-2020. -The Senate and Governmental Affairs committee will not use these election results for the purposes of drawing draft or final district maps.
2. Primary, general, and special election precinct boundaries for any elections between 2011-2020-We anticipate using only the 2020 precinct boundaries. This information has not yet been released. If you are interested in yearly precinct boundaries you can find that information here. https://redist.legis.la.gov/2011_Files/default_ShapeFiles2011
3. Voter registration and turnout data between 2011-2020- This information can be found at the La. Secretary of State's website here: https://www.sos.la.gov/ElectionsAndVoting/Pages/RegistrationStatisticsStatewide.aspx
4. Incarcerated population reallocation data- The Senate and Governmental Affairs committee will not use this data.
5. Candidate and incumbent address data- This information can be found at the La. Secretary of State's website here: https://voterportal.sos.la.gov/electedofficials
6. Population projections- Population projection data will not be used.
7. Voter file data- Can be found here:https://www2.census.gov/programs-surveys/decennial/rdo/datasets/2019/2019-cvap/CVAP_2015-2019_ACS_csv_files.zip
I have also attached HCR 90 of the 2021 RS which will guide the redistricting process for our committees. It can be found here: http://www.legis.la.gov/Legis/ViewDocument.aspx?d=1234671. You may also find pertinent documents on our website here: https://redist.legis.la.gov/.
Finally, I have attached emails about data preparation.
This completes my response to your request.
Secretary of the Senate
Thanks so much for your help with this request! I really appreciate it.