Police Data Collection Request (2020)
|Submitted||March 11, 2021|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
From: Samuel Sinyangwe
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the Michigan Freedom of Information Act, I hereby request the following records:
1. the total number of use of force incidents, separated by type of force used in 2020 (for example, “27 taser incidents in 2020, 3 baton incidents in 2020, etc.)
2. the total number of civilian complaints alleging any form of law enforcement misconduct that were reported and the total number sustained in 2020.
3. the total number of civilian complaints alleging law enforcement use of excessive force that were reported and the total number sustained in 2020.
4. the total number of civilian complaints alleging biased policing or racial profiling that were reported and the total number sustained in 2020.
5. the total number of civilian complaints alleging criminal conduct that were reported and the total number sustained in 2020.
6. all information reported to the FBI’s National Use-of-Force Data Collection program to date.
Note that my requests for civilian complaints are specifically for civilian complaints alleging police misconduct, please do not include complaints filed by one officer/the department against another officer.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 5 business days, as the statute requires.
Per your FOIA request.
Have a great day!
This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable laws. If the reader of the message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and/or reply to this e-mail message. Thank you.