|Submitted||Dec. 28, 2019|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the Florida Sunshine Law, I hereby request the following records:
Media reports state that the Lake County Sheriff’s Office said it "is currently testing a facial recognition program called Clearview AI." (https://www.wftv.com/news/local/florida-law-enforcement-agencies-use-facial-recognition-identify-alleged-thief/SGHPUGB5W5CX3FYVSLU7P6EV7I/)
I am hereby requesting the following records that relate to Clearview AI:
* Any contracts, purchase, orders, invoices, and receipts related to Clearview AI.
* All instructional materials, presentations and presentation materials (including recorded video and audio, PowerPoint files, prepared remarks, and slides formats), and other guidance on the use of Clearview AI. This includes A) any notes taken during meetings that discussed the use of Clearview AI, B) any explanations (whether internally or externally generated) of how Clearview AI, and C) any other document that has been used to help explain the use of Clearview AI to any party, including internal documentation, public relations materials, and executive summaries.
* A copy of any privacy impact assessments, use policies, standard operating procedures, data retention policies, legal opinions, warranties, non-disclosure agreements, contracts, liability waivers, insurance agreements, Requests for Proposals, Responses to Requests for Proposal, Memorandums of Understanding, Letters of Interest, usage policies, or informal agreements between the police department and DataWorks Plus.
* A copy of any funding opportunity announcements, grant applications and grantor status/progress reports, reports to legislative bodies, annual reports that mention Clearview AI as well as audit records, including but not limited to security audits of the software, misuse reports, and reports to oversight bodies.
* Any digital communications including but not limited to emails and text messages) as well as documents, (including but not limited to PDF, word processing, excel, and slide documents) that mention Clearview AI.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes. It will be used in the course of reporting for BuzzFeed News. Therefore, I request that all fees are waived in the processing of this request.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 10 business days.
This email is in response to your public records request (attached) dated December 28, 2019 in which you requested, "any contract, purchase, orders, invoices, and receipts related to Clearview AI, etc...." The Lake County Sheriff's Office does not have any public records responsive to your request.
Lake County Sheriff's Office
360 West Ruby Street
Tavares, FL 32778
Under Florida Law, e-mail addresses and the contents of the e-mail are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address or the contents of the e-mail released in response to a public records request, do not send e-mail to this entity. This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed.