|Submitted||March 11, 2021|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the Texas Public Information Act, I hereby request the following records:
1. the total number of use of force incidents, separated by type of force used in 2020 (for example, “27 taser incidents in 2020, 3 baton incidents in 2020, etc.)
2. the total number of civilian complaints alleging any form of law enforcement misconduct that were reported and the total number sustained, separated by year (for example, 8 complaints in 2013, 2 complaints sustained in 2013, 4 complaints in 2014, 1 complaint sustained in 2014, etc.)
3. the total number of civilian complaints alleging law enforcement use of excessive force that were reported and the total number sustained from 2013-2020, separated by year.
4. the total number of civilian complaints alleging biased policing or racial profiling that were reported and the total number sustained from 2013-2020, separated by year.
5. the total number of civilian complaints alleging criminal conduct that were reported and the total number sustained from 2013-2020, separated by year.
6. all information reported to the FBI’s National Use-of-Force Data Collection program to date.
Note that my requests for civilian complaints are specifically for civilian complaints alleging police misconduct, please do not include complaints filed by one officer/the department against another officer.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 10 business days, as the statute requires.
To Whom It May Concern:
I wanted to follow up on the following Texas Public Information Act request, copied below, and originally submitted on March 11, 2021. Please let me know when I can expect to receive a response.
Thanks for your help, and let me know if further clarification is needed.
In response to your email below which requests the status of your written request submitted to the Killeen Police Department, please see the attached email which contains the City of Killeen’s response to your request. The response was mailed to you today, March 25, 2021, at 12:10 p.m. (CST).
I have attached the City of Killeen's response to the above referenced request for information.
In response to item #6 of your request which asks for "all information reported to the FBI's National Use of Force Data Collection program to date", Killeen Police Department staff has provided me with the following statement:
"The Killeen Police Department is not enrolled in the National Use of Force Data Collection Program, the program is voluntary for statistical data only."
If you have any questions regarding this request, you may contact me by replying to this email or by telephone at (254) 501-6342.
City of Killeen
Office of the City Attorney
P. O. Box 1329
Killeen, Texas 76540
(254) 501-6342 - Phone
(254) 634-8399 - Fax