|Submitted||Aug. 19, 2021|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act, I hereby request the following records:
1. the total number of use of force incidents reported by law enforcement, separated by year and by type of force used from 2013-2015 and 2020 (for example: 27 taser incidents in 2013, 34 taser incidents in 2014, 6 baton incidents in 2013, 3 baton incidents in 2014, etc.)
2. the total number of civilian complaints alleging any form of law enforcement misconduct that were reported and the total number sustained from 2013-2015 and 2020, separated by year (for example: 8 complaints in 2013, 2 complaints sustained in 2013, 4 complaints in 2014, 1 complaint sustained in 2014, etc.)
3. the total number of civilian complaints alleging law enforcement use of excessive force that were reported and the total number sustained from 2013-2015 and 2020, separated by year.
4. the total number of civilian complaints alleging biased policing or racial profiling that were reported and the total number sustained from 2013-2015 and 2020, separated by year.
5. the total number of civilian complaints alleging criminal conduct that were reported and the total number sustained from 2013-2015 and 2020, separated by year.
6. all information reported to the FBI’s National Use-of-Force Data Collection program to date.
7. a list of all officer involved shootings that were directed at a person from 2013-2020 (excluding shootings of animals and accidental discharges that are not directed at a person).
If only partial information is available responsive to one or more of these requests, please provide all of the information that is available.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 3 business days, as the statute requires.
This request is filed by Nicole Kanu, a citizen of Jonesboro, in coordination with Samuel Sinyangwe.
We have received your request and will compile the material. Some records are in storage and can take up to a couple of days to retrieve. I should have all files ready by Tuesday, August 24, 2021. Please advise if you have any questions.
Public Information Specialist
Our response includes the Use Of Force Incidents by Officer Action/Response forms compiled by our department.
As for the information reported to the FBI’s National Use-of-Force Data Collection program (NIBERS), that information is processed through our current software and uploaded to their database. I’ve attached the website URL for you to access and find the information requested. No hard documents exist in our records since this is an electronic transmission. https://www.dps.arkansas.gov/crime-info-support/arkansas-crime-information-center/crime-statistics/
There are a total of 7 officer-involved shootings listed for the requested timeframe. One occurred in 2014, there were 3 in 2015, one in 2018, one in 2019, and one in 2020. Two of our officers are connected to the United States Marshals Service East Arkansas Fugitive Task Force and were present when a suspect, we were seeking, was shot in Oxford, Mississippi on May 15, 2020. Our officers did not fire their guns.
Please advise if you have any questions about the provided material.
Public Information Specialist