|Submitted||May 20, 2021|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
Fred Scaletta, Assistant Director
Iowa Department of Corrections
Office: (515) 725-5707
Pager: (515) 284-9004
To Fred Scaletta,
Under the Iowa Open Records Law § 22.1 et seq., I am requesting an opportunity to inspect or obtain copies of public records that:
– Those which include time and date of all instances of death occurring in the offender population between January 2000 and December 2020.
– Those which indicate the total number of individuals in Iowa Department of Corrections (IDOC) custody who died by any cause, separated monthly, from January 2000 to December 2020.
– Monthly population records that include the total number of deaths occurring among people in the custody of the IDOC between January 2000 and December 2020.
– Certificates of death for all individuals in IDOC custody who died between January 2000 and December 2020.
Additionally, I am requesting an opportunity to inspect or obtain copies of any and all IDOC policies, regulations, and procedures, pertaining to...
– Investigations of in-custody deaths.
– Requirements for the performance of an autopsy or post-mortem medical examination of individuals who die while in IDOC custody.
– The reporting of in-custody deaths to other governmental agencies.
– Next-of-kin notification in the event of in-custody deaths.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not. However, we respectfully request a waiver of these fees as we are affiliated with an educational or noncommercial scientific institution, and this request is made for a scholarly or scientific purpose and not for a commercial use.
I would request a prompt response to this request. If you expect a significant delay in responding to or in fulfilling this request, please contact me with information about when I might expect copies or the ability to inspect the requested records.
The Iowa Open Records Law requires a response time within ten to twenty business days. If access to the records I am requesting will take longer than that time period, please contact me with information about when I might expect copies or the ability to inspect the requested records.
If you choose to deny this request, please provide a written explanation for the denial including a reference to the specific statutory exemption(s) upon which you rely. Also, please provide all segregable portions of otherwise exempt material.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated assistance in this matter.
Policy Director, COVID Prison Project
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Office: (919) 391-7962
340 MacNider Hall | Campus Box 7240
333 South Columbia Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7240
Good Morning Forrest,
We have received your FOIA request on IDOC Offender deaths. Attached is
the copy fee charge, once payment is received we will send you the
information you have requested.
Please make payment by check or money order to: *Treasurer, State of Iowa*
Payment can be sent to:
Iowa Department of Corrections
Attention: Jennifer Bonnett
510 East 12th st.
Des Moines, IA 50319
*Office of General Counsel/Inspector General*
*IA Department of Corrections*