|Multi Request||Geolocation data providers|
|Submitted||July 7, 2021|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) seeks records describing the relationship between your agency and third-party providers of geolocation data. In particular, we seek records related to:
• the location data provider Gravy Analytics and its subsidiary Venntel
• Babel Street’s service Locate X.
For the purposes of this request, the term “geolocation data” refers to GPS data acquired from cell phone apps, connected vehicles, or other connected devices, or from third-party aggregators of such data, which pertains to the location of individual persons or devices, whether identified or de-identified.
We request the following records for the period between January 1, 2015 and the present:
- All contracts or written agreements between Office of the Attorney General - Idaho, or consultants thereof, and Gravy Analytics, Venntel, or Babel Street;
- All presentations, marketing materials, or proposals by contractors, subcontractors, or consultants working with Office of the Attorney General - Idaho relating to the use of geolocation data from Gravy Analytics, Venntel, or Babel Street;
- All technical documentation, guides, presentations, or policies describing access to, storage of, or use of geolocation data acquired from Gravy Analytics, Venntel, or Babel Street;
- All written communications, emails, and attachments between Office of the Attorney General - Idaho and Gravy Analytics, Venntel, or Babel Street;
- All written communications, emails, and attachments between Office of the Attorney General - Idaho and INRIX.
If your office or agency contracts with a company not named here for geolocation data, provision of the alternate organization and equivalent responsive materials would be greatly appreciated.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public. This request is being made in the public interest and is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Investigative Researcher, Electronic Frontier Foundation
To Whom It May Concern:
I wanted to follow up on the following Idaho Public Records Act request, copied below, and originally submitted on July 7, 2021. Please let me know when I can expect to receive a response.
Thanks for your help, and let me know if further clarification is needed.
Our office’s initial response to your records request is attached. I do not anticipate us needing the full 10 days to wrap up fulfillment.
Hello, Scott —
Many thanks for your acknowledgement of this request. I appreciate it and will look forward to hearing from your office again soon.
Our office’s response to your recent records request is attached.
Per our phone conversation late last week, I asked our office’s IT staff to conduct an office-wide email and document search with the terms we discussed. Our search revealed no responsive materials.
Thank you very much,
Hi, Scott —
Many thanks for this update and my appreciation to your team for conducting the additional search. I hope this week is going well!
All the best,
Electronic Frontier Foundation