Hardeman County, TN agreements re: Hardeman County Correctional Facility

Beryl Lipton filed this request with the Hardeman County (TN) of Hardeman County, TN.
Est. Completion None
Payment Required


From: Beryl Lipton

To Whom It May Concern:

Pursuant to Tennessee's Public Records Act, I hereby request the following records:

All contracts (and their amendments), memorandums of understanding, intergovernmental service agreements, and any agreements of any sort entered into by Hardeman County, Tennessee for all services, equipment, and activities involving/provided by/contracted for regarding Hardeman County Correctional Facility and any facilities associated with it through any of the aforementioned agreements regarding the facility.

Responsive materials should include but not be limited to:

• the initial Invitation to Bid, Request for Proposal, or equivalent call for contractors
• the responsive materials provided by the winning bidder
• all other vendor responses
• all evaluation material, scorecards, reports, and notes generated in the selection process
• the current contract
• all exhibits
• all amendments
• all invoices/receipts detailing compensation received as a result of any agreements
• all agreements related to the provision of services, such as water, sewage, natural gas, garbage, etc.
• all financial agreements (such as loans or bonds) entered into as a result or in association with any of the aforementioned agreements
• all agreements, invoices, and related materials regarding the use of inmate labor by any of this agency's divisions or jurisdictions

The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.

In the event that fees cannot be waived, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.

Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 7 business days, as the statute requires.


Beryl C.D. Lipton

From: MuckRock.com

To Whom It May Concern:

I wanted to follow up on the following Freedom of Information request, copied below, and originally submitted on Aug. 30, 2015. Please let me know when I can expect to receive a response, or if further clarification is needed.

Thanks for your help, and let me know if further clarification is needed.

From: Linda Ervin

Dear Beryl Lipton,

Good morning,

My question is - are referring to Corrections Corporation of America (CCA)
or the Hardeman County Criminal Justice Center? If you are referring to
CCA, then the Department of Corrections will have the information you are

If you are referencing to the HCCJC, I have attached a public records
request form. You must fill this out and sign it. These documents are not
available in electronic form. Your request involves thousands of pages of
documentation going back over 10 years. Our county attorney states that
this will be an expensive and time-consuming process, and suggests that it
might behoove you to get any relevant information from the Department of
Corrections. However, if you choose not to go that route, we require payment
in advance for labor - which includes research and copying, copies, and

2500 pages at .15 per copy - 375.00 (this is an approximation - it
may be more. If it is, I will require additional monies before I can ship.)

40 hours at 19.15 per hour - 766.00 (this is the hourly wage of the
person who will be compiling the information and copying)

Flat rate postage - 50.00 (also an approximation
- if more required, will require additional monies before shipping.

Total 1191.00

Please remit request and payment to

Hardeman County

P.O. Box 250

Bolivar, TN 38008

Linda Ervin

Hardeman County Mayor's office

Phone: 731.658.3266

Fax: 731.658.5721

From: Beryl Lipton

Hello Ms. Ervin,

Thank you very much for your message. I am referring to the facility run by Corrections Corporation. I would be interested in any agreements that the County might have at all. I know that even for facilities contracted through the state, counties sometimes utilize inmate labor, arrange for provision of utilities, or are subject to IGSAs. Please let me know if there are any materials that might be responsive.

Thanks so much for your help,

From: Linda Ervin

Good morning.

We just received another request dated Sept. 29.2015. As you can see below,
I responded to this request on Sept. 14, 2015.

Linda Ervin