|Submitted||July 2, 2019|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the Florida Sunshine Law, I hereby request the following records:
Records and materials related to the solicitation, acquisition, and use of face recognition technology and related software and services.
This software or services may be provided by Rekognition, Face++, and FaceFirst; this request is applicable to these and any other company providing facial recognition services under consideration or contract with this agency.
Responsive materials include but are not limited to:
• Agreements: contracts (including non-disclosure agreements), licensing agreements, nondisclosure agreements
• Bid records: Requests For Proposal (or equivalent calls for bids), sole source or limited source justification and approval documentation, documentation of selection, and other materials generated in the consideration and selection of the technology in question
• Company relations and communications: records related to meetings or follow-up actions with any vendors, companies, or other private entities marketing face recognition to this agency for immigration, intelligence, law enforcement, or other use.
• Financial records: purchase orders, invoices, and other memoranda and documentation.
• Marketing records: All marketing materials - unsolicited, requested, or otherwise - acquired from vendors of face recognition technology
• Policy records: any policy directives, guidance documents, memoranda, training materials, or similar records governing the use of face recognition technology for immigration, law enforcement, or other purposes. Any memoranda of understanding between this agency and other agencies to share data, access remote systems or other forms of information sharing with external agencies.
• Training records: training material governing the use, sharing, or access to any related data related to or collected by the face recognition software/technology, including the legal standard that is required before using the technology. Documents, should they exist, about training for bias in the use of facial recognition technology.
• Use and function records: Materials that describe the function of the software considered or in use by this agency, including emails, handouts, PowerPoint presentations, advertisements, or specification documents.
• Validation and accuracy: Records, reports, audits, and other documents sufficient to describe validation, accuracy, reliability, and policy compliance of the system.
Please limit the search to records produced from January 1, 2017 – present. Please include in your search as responsive records: communications, memorandums, background papers, meeting minutes, email exchanges, or presentation materials. If your office has questions about this request, please feel free to direct them to the address associated with this request or call the MuckRock office at 617-299-1832.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 10 business days.
To Whom It May Concern:
I wanted to follow up on the following Florida Sunshine Law request, copied below, and originally submitted on July 2, 2019. Please let me know when I can expect to receive a response.
Thanks for your help, and let me know if further clarification is needed.
Dear Mr. Martinez:
RE: Public Records Request Response, FDLE Docket No. PRR-2019-2161
Searches were negative through FDLE’s files for the requested agreements records other than the attached Memorandum of Agreement, which is provided pursuant to Florida’s Public Records Law, Chapter 119, Florida Statutes. Searches were negative through FDLE’s files for the requested bid records; negative for the requested company relations and communications records; negative for the requested financial records; negative for the requested marketing records, negative for the requested policy records other than the attached Memorandum of Agreement, which is provided pursuant to Florida’s Public Records Law, Chapter 119, Florida Statutes; negative for the requested training records; negative for the requested use and function records other than the attached Memorandum of Agreement, which is provided pursuant to Florida’s Public Records Law, Chapter 119, Florida Statutes; and negative for the requested validation and accuracy records other than the attached Memorandum of Agreement, which is provided pursuant to Florida’s Public Records Law, Chapter 119, Florida Statutes.
If you have questions concerning your request, please contact us at (850) 410-7676 or firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com>.
Office of General Counsel
Florida Department of Law Enforcement
Post Office Box 1489
Tallahassee, FL 32302-1489
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE - The information contained in this e-mail transmission from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. It is intended for the sole use of the person (s) or entity named. If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission, the dissemination, distribution, copying, or other use of this information may constitute a violation of §119, F. S. and is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender immediately.