It is a clone of this request.
|Submitted||March 16, 2018|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the Oregon Public Records Law, I hereby request the following records:
Any and all statistics, data, reports, audits, policies, and procedures pertaining to the following items regarding sexual assault evidence collection (SAEC) kits (also known as "rape kits") and processing:
• all standard operating procedures regarding the SAEC process
• any written policies or procedures regarding department practices on the acquisition of or handling of rape kit evidence, including protocols for its collection, testing, and delegation and transfer to all other possibly relevant locations, laboratories, or agencies
• the number of kits collected and booked into evidence from the period of January 1, 2000 through the date this request is processed
• the number of kits that have been processed by a public or private crime or forensic laboratory or equivalent processing location from the period of January 1, 2000 through the date this request is processed
• the number of unprocessed kits in any storage facilities currently under the department’s jurisdiction and control, including those held by medical personnel or at external laboratory locations
• any materials regarding the status or ultimate disposition of cases in which a kit was collected. Please include all available segregable data.
• all audits involving this agency regarding the collection or backlog of SAEC kits
• all proposed alterations or yet-to-be-implemented changes to the policies and procedures regarding the collection, testing, and use of SAEC kits
If there any questions about this request, please feel free to call us at the MuckRock office at 617-299-1832.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I would request your response within ten (10) business days.
Dear Ms. Nason,
Pursuant to ORS 192.324(2), this is to acknowledge your request for public records. The City is the custodian of at least some of the requested records. Because of the volume of material requested it is unclear at this time whether any exemptions will apply. We estimate it will take a week at the very least to conduct the research and administrative work necessary to respond. Please be aware that once we begin the request, we may find more time is required to accurately respond, there may be state statutes prohibiting us from releasing some information, or requiring us to make redactions, and any of these can increase the administrative time frame and cost. In this event, we would notify you of the additional charges required for payment. Similarly, if it takes less time, you would be refunded the difference.
Pursuant to ORS 192.324(4) the City has established fees reasonably calculated to reimburse the actual cost of making public records available, including costs for summarizing, compiling or tailoring the public records, either in organization or media, to meet the request. See Admin Order 21-05-06-F. Under that order the hourly rate is $37.07 per hour. A breakdown is provided below.
We estimate the cost of responding to this request will be $1,112.10, after a 25 percent media discount is applied. If you fail to pay the fee within 60 days we will have to close this request. ORS 192.329(3)(b).
Please let me know if you will be going forward with payment so I can let the Records Section know in advance of your payment so they know how to route the request for fulfillment. The Request number is 397 PRR.
You can pay several different ways:
* In person: 300 Country Club Road, Eugene, Oregon,
* By Mail: Eugene Police Department, Public Information, 300 Country Club Road, Eugene, Oregon 97401. Please make any checks out to "Eugene Police Department."
* By phone using a credit card at 541.682.5131.
COST ESTIMATE DETAILS
City's Administrative Rate is $37.07 per hour
40 hours at $37.07 = $1,482.80
25 Percent Media Discount applied = $1,112.10
Total cost estimate $1,112.10
Melinda McLaughlin, APR
Public Information Director
Eugene Police Department
300 Country Club Road
Eugene, Oregon 97401
(541) 682.5124 work
(541) 255.6207 cell
A letter stating the requester must agree to or prepay assessed or estimated fees in order for the agency to continue processing the request.