|Submitted||Feb. 26, 2017|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to Pennsylvania Right to Know Act, I hereby request the following records:
Attention Borough of Etna Freedom of Information Officer:
This is a Freedom of Information request for a copy of the Borough of Etna Council quorum and voting records concerning the Borough Manager, Mary Ellen Ramage’s, meteoric salary increases from 1997 to date, which stands at $80,628, for the year 2017. Please refer back to a prior Freedom of Information request: https://www.muckrock.com/foi/etna-27363/mary-ellen-ramage-and-under-prior-names-elected-and-non-elected-offices-paid-and-unpaid-positions-and-any-other-capacity-of-involvement-in-the-borough-of-etna-government-and-with-borough-of-etna-business-affairs-31094/
* Please provide a copy of the Authority and Rules and quorum requirements, under which the Borough of Etna Council adopts or makes changes to and involving personnel employment; including hiring or firing; salary or benefit changes; etc.
* Please clarify if there is an Evergreen Escalation clause on the books concerning the Borough of Etna Manager’s salary, or if the matter is voted on annually.
* If there is a escalation clause, to what financial shift is the annual adjustment or increase tied? If there is an automatic and evergreen escalation clause, what year was it instituted?
* Considering the fact that Mary Ellen Ramage is married (for the last 20-years, since 1997) to the Borough of Etna Council President, Peter F. Ramage, has Mr. Ramage recused himself or disqualified himself or abstained from participating in the official actions of salary increases or benefit changes, involving his wife?
* Has the Borough of Etna Council considered the fact that the taxpayer base might not be able to afford someone with a $80,628 annual salary, which is over twice the median income of the very meager (and low income) tax base that resides in the Borough of Etna.
* Here are U.S. Census statistics that might raise some concerns about the enriching and self-rewarding, Ramage salary increases: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etna,_Pennsylvania
There are about 1,749 households in the Borough of Etna “……. (sic) …….. The median income for a household in the borough was $31,529, and the median income for a family was $41,577. Males had a median income of $31,386 versus $23,601 for females. The per capita income for the borough was $17,580. About 7.5% of families and 9.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.0% of those under age 18 and 17.5% of those age 65 or over.”
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 5 business days, as the statute requires.
Helena J. Csorba
To Whom It May Concern:
I wanted to follow up on the following Freedom of Information request, copied below, and originally submitted on Feb. 26, 2017. Please let me know when I can expect to receive a response, or if further clarification is needed.
Thanks for your help, and let me know if further clarification is needed.
Please see attached response to your Right to Know Request.
Mary Ellen Ramage, Manager
Manager, Borough of Etna
437 Butler Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15223