|Submitted||Aug. 14, 2018|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the Texas Public Information Act, I hereby request the following records:
- any and all materials concerning the post-conviction review of the case of Gary J. Walker, who was convicted of the murder of Shree Walpool and sentenced to 55 years in prison in 1992. (Some background here: http://courtstuff.com/cgi-bin/as_web.exe?c05_96.ask+D+18158710)
I have been told that former Dallas County D.A. Craig Watkins investigated his case and obtained both an audio and written confession from a TDCJ inmate, Kenneth Thomas, implicating Thomas and another person in the murder. Walker was released on parole in 2013. I therefore request any such audio or written materials, as well as any other files concerning a post-conviction review of Walker's case.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 10 business days, as the statute requires.
REQUEST FOR CLARIFICATION
DEPT MR 59476
411A Highland Ave
Somerville, MA 02144-2516
1. Please clarify what you mean by "materials"? i.e. do you mean only records created at the time of a "review," including the attorney's work-product?
2. Please clarify what you mean by "the post-conviction review"?
3. Please clarify if "the post-conviction review" is a "review" of some kind that took place only during the Watkins administration?
4. Please clarify what you mean by "any other files concerning a...review of the Walker case." i.e. do you mean only "files" created at the time of a "review," including the attorney's work-product?
Be advised that pursuant to section 552.222 of the Texas Government Code, this Office is not required to respond to your request until it receives clarification in writing. Tex. Gov't Code Ann. § 552.222 (West Supp. 2015). Further, be advised that if you fail to provide clarification in writing within sixty days, this Office will consider your request to have been withdrawn. Id.
Assistant District Attorney
Dallas County District Attorney's Office
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above. It may contain confidential information that is privileged or that constitutes attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachment(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by replying to this e-mail and delete the message and any attachment(s) from your system. Thank you.
A fix is required to perfect the request.
This is CJ Ciaramella. I spoke on the phone with Rick Vela and would like to clarify my 8/14 public records request for materials on a post-conviction review of the case of Gary Walker. Mr. Vela said the Conviction Integrity Unit has an open investigation into his case. For clarity, please amend my request to seek the following records:
- the written and/or audio confession of TDCJ inmate Kenneth Thomas in regard to Walker's case (cause number #F9202704).
- Any other witness statements or interviews collected during the CIU's investigation, excluding attorney work product.
Thank you, and please call or email if further clarification is needed.
An interim response, stating the request is being processed.
The request has been rejected by the agency.