It is a clone of this request.
|Submitted||June 22, 2016|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to North Carolina Public Records Law (G.S. §§ 132-1 through 132-10), I hereby request the following documents:
1. All records regarding the purchase of, acquisition of, installation of, subscription to, payment for, or agreements concerning software designed to access information from social media services;
2. All records that contain any information about the functioning of software designed to access information from social media services that is used or has been used by the Cumberland County Sheriff's Office;
3. All records regarding correspondence about or with a company that offers software designed to access information from social media services, including but not limited to all correspondence about or with the companies Brightplaent, Geofeedia, Intrado Inc, LifeRaft, Magnet Forensics, Media Sonar, Signal Corporation, and ZeroFOX;
4. All records regarding the policies that govern access to or use of software designed to access information from social media services;
5. All training materials and all records used to instruct members of your agency in the proper use of software designed to access information from social media services or of the information such software is capable of accessing;
6. All records regarding the sharing with entities outside the Cumberland County Sheriff's Office of information obtained from or obtained by using software designed to access information from social media services;
7. All records referencing social media profiles, comments, posts, messages, or events accessed or retained from social media services through use of software designed to access information from social media services.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I would request your response within ten (10) business days.
I am sorry we will not be able to comply with you request. There are portions of the request that would breach the sanctity of our investigations. You would be more that welcome to contact our legal advisor, Ronnie Mitchell with any further questions. His contact information is as follows;
Ronnie M. Mitchell
Legal Counsel | Office of the Sheriff | Cumberland County NC |
131 Dick Street |
Fayetteville, North Carolina | 28301
Telephone: 910.321.6764 |
Sean E. Swain
PIO | Office of the Sheriff | Cumberland County N.C.
Telephone (910) 677-5487 | Cell (910) 849-4004
131 Dick Street |Fayetteville, N.C. 28301
Thanks for the response! We're wondering if you guys could reconsider this. An email chain turned over by another law enforcement agency suggests the Cumberland County Sheriff's Office is or has been a customer of social media intelligence company Media Sonar. We'd like to review material---email and records and invoices, for instance--- specific to that contractual relationship and any others like it. This could to be to the exclusion of material connected to active investigations at CCSO.
We do not and have not use media sonar
Sent from my iPhone
To Whom It May Concern:
I wanted to follow up on the following Freedom of Information request, copied below, and originally submitted on June 22, 2016. Please let me know when I can expect to receive a response, or if further clarification is needed.
Thanks for your help, and let me know if further clarification is needed.
On July 05, 2016, I sent an email letting you know we have not had a contract with Media Sonar and do not intend to use their service. I do not know how to make it any clearer.