To Collier County Court: Requesting Public Record Info for Pro Se Litigants

Susan A. filed this request with the Collier County Court of Collier County, FL.
Est. Completion None
No Responsive Documents


From: Susan A.

To Whom It May Concern:

Pursuant to Florida's Sunshine Law (Fla. Stat. secs. 119.01 to 119.15 (1995)), I hereby request the following records:

Seeking a certified copy of any public records online at the court site or elsewhere available as a public record which are made available and provided to Pro Se Litigants seeking access to the Collier County Court, as I could find no information in any search on the current court website or in any current FAQs on the court site.

If no information is provided by the Court to Pro Se litigants as a public record on how to access the court as a Pro Se Litigant, please have the Court Clerk Dwight Brock sign a letter and certify it, stating no information exists as a public record at the Collier Court to help Pro Se litigants access the court or understand court procedures in any civil or criminal court department.

The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.

In the event that fees cannot be waived, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.

Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I would request your response within ten (10) business days.


Susan Alyn


To Whom It May Concern:

I wanted to follow up on the following Freedom of Information request, copied below, and originally submitted on July 29, 2015. Please let me know when I can expect to receive a response, or if further clarification is needed.

Thank you for your help.

From: Collier County Court

A no responsive documents response.

From: Susan A.

Thank you for your reply, but very disappointed the Collier County Court does not provide specific information such as the information below posted in MA for Pro Se Litigants:

Pro Se Litigants / Representing Yourself

The pro se information on the Court's website is specifically for individuals who are representing themselves in the District of Massachusetts without the assistance of an attorney. It is intended as an informative and practical resource for pro se litigants, and is not a substitute for legal advice from an experienced attorney. The information is procedural in nature and should be read in conjunction with the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, the Local Rules of this Court and the individual practices of the judge assigned to your case. Moreover, the links to other websites are for informational purposes only, and neither the United States District Court Clerk's Office nor any employee of the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts is responsible for the accuracy of the information contained in other websites.

If you wish to start a civil action in federal court, but do not have an attorney to represent you, you may bring your case on your own. This is called "proceeding pro se" which means that you are representing yourself in the Court, and you are called a "pro se litigant." A civil case, which is the only type of case you can start in federal court, is different from a criminal case, which can only be started by government officials. In a civil case, you do not have a constitutional right to appointed counsel. Therefore, if you start a civil case pro se, you should be prepared to pursue it to completion on your own because the Court appoints counsel only under certain circumstances that may not be met by your case.

Instructions for Filing a Complaint

Step by Step Guide to Filing a Civil Action - English
Step by Step Guide to Filing a Civil Action - Spanish

Frequently Used Forms

Application to Proceed in District Court Without Prepaying Fees or Costs
Civil Cover Sheet
Financial Affidavit to Accompany Motion for Leave to Appeal In Forma Pauperis
Local Category Form for New Civil Cases
Motion Under 28 U.S.C. � 2255 to Vacate, Set Aside, or Correct Sentence by a Person in Federal Custody
Notice of Appeal
Notice of Lawsuit and Request for Waiver of Service of Summons
Petition Under 28 U.S.C. � 2254 for a Writ of Habeas Corpus by a Person in State Custody
Summons in a Civil Action
Waiver of Service of Summons
Additional Forms:
United States Marshals Service Form 285, "Process Receipt and Return"

Legal Representation

Pro Bono Representation: IF YOU CANNOT AFFORD AN ATTORNEY, you may make a written motion asking the court to appoint an attorney for you. Use the same heading that you used on your COMPLAINT, but entitle the document "Motion for Appointment of Counsel." In your motion, provide the court with your financial status, your attempts, if any, to find a lawyer, and any other information which would be helpful to the court in determining whether a lawyer should be appointed for you. The Court is not required to appoint an attorney, but may request an attorney who has indicated a willingness to accept such cases on a pro bono basis to represent you. See Title 28 U.S.C. �1915.

Civil Subpoena

See Rule 45 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure.
A subpoena commanding attendance at a trial or hearing shall issue from the court for the district in which the hearing or trial is to be held.
A subpoena for attendance at a deposition shall issue from the court for the district designated by the notice of deposition as the district in which the deposition is to be taken or in which the production or inspection is to be made.
The clerk shall issue a subpoena, signed but otherwise in blank, to a party requesting it, who shall complete it before service. An attorney as officer of the court may also issue and sign a subpoena on behalf of:
A court in which the attorney is authorized to practice; or
A court for a district in which a deposition or production is compelled by the subpoena, if the deposition or production pertains to an action pending in a court in which the attorney is authorized to practice.
A witness subpoena may be served anywhere within the district of the court by which it is issued or at any place without the district that is within 100 miles of the place of the deposition, hearing, trial, production, or inspection specified in the subpoena. (F.R.Civ.P. 45(b)(2))

Massachusetts State Court Litigants
If you are an indigent litigant with a case before the Massachusetts State Probate Court system, or are planning to bring a case in the Massachusetts State Probate Court system and are seeking appointment of pro bono counsel, please contact the Probate and Family Court in your County of residence as listed below for assistance.
Eastern Division: Suffolk County 617-788-8300
Essex County 978-744-1020
Middlesex County 617-768-5858
Norfolk County 781-830-1200
Plymouth County 508-897-5400 x2964
Central Division: Worcester County 508-831-2200
Western Division: Hampden County 413-748-7745
Hampshire County 413-586-8500
Franklin County 413-774-7011


Commonly Used Terms
Local Rules

From: Susan A.

Just want to point out how difficult it is to obtain information from this county court. I did not know only the Collier Sheriff can serve a civil suit (in 2009; don't know if that is still in effect), and I never knew that an additional fee is charged for that. I never paid any fee for service, was never able to obtain or inspect the court file because clerks repeatedly told me "you can't see it now because the file is with the judge." And I still don't know how or why or when or if a complaint would be served when no required fee for service is paid. (And, I was not a pro se litigant. Couldn't get this information out of a lawyer either.)