|Submitted||May 2, 2017|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the Vermont public records law (1 V.S.A. §§ 315-320), I hereby request the following records:
Any and all statistics, data, reports, audits, policies, and procedures pertaining to the following items regarding sexual assault evidence collection (SAEC) kits (also known as "rape kits") and processing:
• all standard operating procedures regarding the SAEC process
• any written policies or procedures regarding department practices on the acquisition of or handling of rape kit evidence, including protocols for its collection, testing, and delegation and transfer to all other possibly relevant locations, laboratories, or agencies
• the number of kits collected and booked into evidence from the period of January 1, 2000 through the date this request is processed
• the number of kits that have been processed by a public or private crime or forensic laboratory or equivalent processing location from the period of January 1, 2000 through the date this request is processed
• the number of unprocessed kits in any storage facilities currently under the department’s jurisdiction and control, including those held by medical personnel or at external laboratory locations
• any materials regarding the status or ultimate disposition of cases in which a kit was collected. Please include all available segregable data.
• all audits involving this agency regarding the collection or backlog of SAEC kits
• all proposed alterations or yet-to-be-implemented changes to the policies and procedures regarding the collection, testing, and use of SAEC kits
If there any questions about this request, please feel free to call us at the MuckRock office at 617-299-1832.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 3 business days, as the statute requires.
To Whom It May Concern:
I wanted to follow up on the following Freedom of Information request, copied below, and originally submitted on May 2, 2017. Please let me know when I can expect to receive a response, or if further clarification is needed.
Thanks for your help, and let me know if further clarification is needed.
DEPT MR 37067
411A Highland Avenue
Somerville, MA 02144-2516
Dear Ms Lipton
I am the sheriff for the Chittenden County Sheriff’s Department,
and in that capacity I am responding to the May 2, 2017 public records
request that you sent to Lieutenant Daniel Gamelin of my office.
Your request essentially seeks information regarding the use of
sexual assault evidence collection kits (which you refer to as “rape
kits.” ) and documentation of such use by the department.
Please be advised that the Chittenden County Sheriff’s Department
does not maintain or otherwise use rape kits, nor do we maintain any
documentation or have an established protocol regarding the use of rape
kits. Our office policy is that, if a deputy sheriff should become
involved in a criminal complaint regarding a claimed sexual assault or
other offense of a sexual nature, that investigation is to be turned
over to the Chittenden Unit for Special Investigations (CUSI).
Therefore, we do not have or maintain any of the records that you seek
in the public records request.
I am required to advise you that, if you wish to appeal this
determination, your remedy under Vermont law is to seek recourse in the
Vermont Superior Court, either in Chittenden County, Washington County,
or another county in Vermont if you reside in that other county.
Kevin McLaughlin, Sheriff
70 Ethan Allen Drive
South Burlington, Vt 05403
There are no files associated with this request.