Fines and Fees in Operating Budget (Chicago)

Brian Kroll filed this request with the Chicago Department of Finance of Chicago, IL.


From: Brian Kroll

To Whom It May Concern:

Pursuant to the Illinois Freedom of Information Act (5 ILCS 140/1 to 11), I hereby request the following records:

1) A copy of any official calculations of revenue coming from court fees and
fines between FY 11 and FY 16, or calendar year 2010 and calendar 2015 if your
government operates on a calendar year budget cycle.

2) Accounts Receivable databases that cover fines and fees paid for government
services by individuals, rather than businesses. This would include Revenue
Journals that cover such payments, as well as other financial statements that
cover income from fees and fines.

3) Any logs of appeals of fines that is kept by this agency, including, if the
log has it, outcome of the appeal, payments made, and other fields that are
present in such a log.

4) A copy of contracts with any vendors that help manage the assignment,
collection, or management of fees and citation information. This would include
contracts with vendors that provide parking ticket software, for example, as
well as court fees.

5) The record layout for any databases that are used to track the assignment,
collection, or management of fees, fines and citations. This would just be a
copy of the header columns in these databases, and not the information in the

The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.

In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.

Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 5 business days, as the statute requires.


Brian Kroll


Please find enclosed an extension request from the Department of Finance.


Please find the Department's response to your request.