It is a clone of this request.
|Submitted||Aug. 8, 2017|
|Due||Aug. 18, 2017|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the New York State Freedom of Information Law (1977 N.Y. Laws ch. 933), I hereby request the following records:
Any and all statistics, data, reports, audits, policies, and procedures pertaining to the following items regarding sexual assault evidence collection (SAEC) kits (also known as "rape kits") and processing:
• all standard operating procedures regarding the SAEC process
• any written policies or procedures regarding department practices on the acquisition of or handling of rape kit evidence, including protocols for its collection, testing, and delegation and transfer to all other possibly relevant locations, laboratories, or agencies
• the number of kits collected and booked into evidence from the period of January 1, 2000 through the date this request is processed
• the number of kits that have been processed by a public or private crime or forensic laboratory or equivalent processing location from the period of January 1, 2000 through the date this request is processed
• the number of unprocessed kits in any storage facilities currently under the department’s jurisdiction and control, including those held by medical personnel or at external laboratory locations
• any materials regarding the status or ultimate disposition of cases in which a kit was collected. Please include all available segregable data.
• all audits involving this agency regarding the collection or backlog of SAEC kits
• all proposed alterations or yet-to-be-implemented changes to the policies and procedures regarding the collection, testing, and use of SAEC kits
If there any questions about this request, please feel free to call us at the MuckRock office at 617-299-1832.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 5 business days, as the statute requires.
In reference to your faxed FOIL requesting information on our policy and procedures for handling rape kits; we have no written policy or procedure regarding this issue.
I am not aware of any audits involving our agency.
In reference to the number of kits collected, processed, held or transferred to the Lab, case materials including dispositions since January 1, 2000; your request will take approximately 18 months for our staff to collect that data via hand searching the property logs, case reports and court disposition files.
Chief Michael Cazzari
Town of Carmel Police Department
60 McAlpin Ave
Mahopac, NY 10541
phone (845) 628-1300 ext 107
fax (845) 628-2597
Would it be possible (and easier) to just provide numbers for kits collected, kits processed, and kits unprocessed? I don't need court disposition files.
It would save some time yes we are looking in the old paper property logs and counting. We only began to utilize a computerized evidence tracking system about three years ago.
Okay! Thank you.
There are no files associated with this request.