|Submitted||Aug. 18, 2021|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the Indiana Access to Public Records Act, I hereby request the following records:
1. the total number of use of force incidents reported by law enforcement, separated by year and by type of force used from 2013-2020 (for example: 27 taser incidents in 2019, 16 taser incidents in 2020, 3 baton incidents in 2019, 4 baton incidents in 2020, etc.)
2. the total number of civilian complaints alleging any form of law enforcement misconduct that were reported and the total number sustained from 2013-2020, separated by year (for example: 8 complaints in 2016, 2 complaints sustained in 2016, 4 complaints in 2017, 1 complaint sustained in 2017, etc.)
3. the total number of civilian complaints alleging law enforcement use of excessive force that were reported and the total number sustained from 2013-2020, separated by year.
4. the total number of civilian complaints alleging biased policing or racial profiling that were reported and the total number sustained from 2013-2020, separated by year.
5. the total number of civilian complaints alleging criminal conduct that were reported and the total number sustained from 2013-2020, separated by year.
6. all information reported to the FBI’s National Use-of-Force Data Collection program to date.
7. a list of all officer involved shootings that were directed at a person from 2013-2020 (excluding shootings of animals and accidental discharges that are not directed at a person).
If only partial information is available responsive to one or more of these requests, please provide all of the information that is available.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 7 business days, as the statute requires.
Attached is the City of Carmel record request form for you to fill out and return at your convenience. Please note that records must be made on this form, not as an attachment to this form. You may email, fax, or mail this to our office. You may also request records on the City's website by following the link below. If you have questions, please feel free to contact our office. Thanks!
City of Carmel
Department of Law
One Civic Square
Carmel, IN 46032
Please see attached. Thank you for your help with this request!
Copy of Form CPD Request for Records - 09172019 Your request has been submitted.
Per Indiana Code § 5-14-3-4.4, this
acknowledgment serves as the City’s initial response to your record request.
Your request will be timely reviewed in
conformance with Indiana law. As the City has just received your request, it
has not yet had a reasonable opportunity to identify, retrieve, and review the
records, if any, that may be responsive to your request. Once it has done so,
the City will advise you under separate cover as to whether your request is
granted in whole or in part, and of the City’s basis for any portion of your
request that is denied. The City reserves all of its rights under law and in
equity as regards this document request and the City’s production of documents
Office of Corporation Counsel
1 Civic Square
Carmel, IN 46032
You're receiving this email because someone requested that you get a copy of this form.
Dear Samuel Sinyangwe,
Attached is Carmel Assistant Corporation Counsel Sergey Grechukhin's supplemental response to your records request. Please address all future correspondence regarding this request directly to our office.