|Submitted||July 8, 2020|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the Ohio Open Records Law, I hereby request the following records:
The Professional Standard Bureau (PSB) records dating from January 2009 to the current time as this request is received (July 2020). I specifically request the PSB and internal affairs unit records on incidences surrounding use of force reports and officer-involved shootings or death.
These records should include upon availability but not limited to:
- The PSB's review and concluding reports,
- Administrative interviews that are recorded by the investigator,
- Confidential officer personnel files,
- Involved-officer statements,
- Available Mobile Audio/Video (MAV), body-worn video, or other video or audio recordings prior to providing a recorded
statement or completing reports,
- Witness statements,
- Formal and Incomplete personnel complaints,
- Employee-initiated complaints,
- Performance History Audit Reports (I recognize the PSB keeps these a year from the reports' date),
- All records from the Use of Force Review Board where investigations have been submitted and its findings as to whether there was compliance with
the Use of Force Policy,
- And listed closed investigations that had been submitted to the Disciplinary Review Board.
The Ohio Community Coalition is a non-profit organization that works on promoting transparency amongst police policy and conduct within Stark County. We utilize this transparency to educate the public and make PD policy and conduct records more accessible to the public.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 10 business days.
Ohio Community Coalition
July 20th, 2020
Dear Canton Police Department and the Canton Law Department:
I, Curstynn Marks, on behalf of the Ohio Community Coalition am writing to request information about the status of the records request submitted June 8, 2020, on behalf of the OCC, pursuant to the Ohio Public Records Law. We have not received the requested receipt of the request.
We would note that Ohio Rev. Code 149.43(B)(1) requires the relevant public office to “promptly prepar[e]” the relevant documents. ORC 149.43(B)(7)(1)(a) states that the relevant public office “shall transmit a copy of the public record [by US mail or any other means of delivery] … within a reasonable period of time after receiving the request for the copy.” If the Canton Police Department and Law Department have policy and procedures it follows in complying with ORC 149.43 (B)(7(1)(a), including an estimated time frame, then 149.43(B)(7)(1)(b) requires the relevant department to comply with its policy in performing its duty under 149.43.
Please provide us an estimated timeline for prompt preparation of the requested documents.
Ohio Community Coalition
There are no files associated with this request.