|Submitted||Feb. 10, 2014|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the South Carolina Freedom of Information Act, I hereby request the following records:
All documents relating to usage of Automated License Plate Recognition (ALPR) technology by the Beaufort County Sheriff's Office, including but not limited to documents indicating:
-scope of ALPR deployment;
-purposes for which ALPR technology is employed;
-means of handling and storing ALPR data;
-extent and timeline for ALPR data storage; and
-protocols and extent of ALPR data sharing between BCSO and other government agencies.
Please include any relevant documents, including but not limited to memos, reports, emails, meeting minutes and contracts.
I also request that, if appropriate, fees be waived as I believe this request is in the public interest. The requested documents will be made available to the general public free of charge as part of the public information service at MuckRock.com, processed by a representative of the news media/press and is made in the process of news gathering and not for commercial usage.
In the event that fees cannot be waived, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 15 business days, as the statute requires.
Mr. Chris Meller
Department MR 1072
PO Box 55819
Boston MA 02205-5819
This is the Beaufort County Sheriff's Office response to your February 12, 2014 Freedom of Information Request on the use of our Automated License Plate Reader (ALPR).
1. The Beaufort County Sheriff's Office purchased and uses the mobile trailer unit, NDI Road Warrior ALPR with Traffic Message Board.
2. Purpose and deployment is for traffic and criminal information.
3. In regards to data, the Sheriff's Office does not retain any data because we upload the data to the State Law Enforcement Divisions (SLED) server.
4. In regards to sharing information between agencies, the information is for use by law enforcement for criminal justice purposes only. Information is uploaded to SLED's server and any sharing of information is handled by SLED.
5. Attached are the specifications and purchasing documents in your FOI request.
William R. Neill, Lieutenant Colonel
Administrative and Support Division
Beaufort County Sheriff's Office
P.O. Box 1758
Beaufort, South Carolina