|Submitted||July 2, 2019|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the Colorado Public Records Law, I hereby request the following records:
Records and materials related to the solicitation, acquisition, and use of face recognition technology and related software and services.
This software or services may be provided by Rekognition, Face++, and FaceFirst; this request is applicable to these and any other company providing facial recognition services under consideration or contract with this agency.
Responsive materials include but are not limited to:
• Agreements: contracts (including non-disclosure agreements), licensing agreements, nondisclosure agreements
• Bid records: Requests For Proposal (or equivalent calls for bids), sole source or limited source justification and approval documentation, documentation of selection, and other materials generated in the consideration and selection of the technology in question
• Company relations and communications: records related to meetings or follow-up actions with any vendors, companies, or other private entities marketing face recognition to this agency for immigration, intelligence, law enforcement, or other use.
• Financial records: purchase orders, invoices, and other memoranda and documentation.
• Marketing records: All marketing materials - unsolicited, requested, or otherwise - acquired from vendors of face recognition technology
• Policy records: any policy directives, guidance documents, memoranda, training materials, or similar records governing the use of face recognition technology for immigration, law enforcement, or other purposes. Any memoranda of understanding between this agency and other agencies to share data, access remote systems or other forms of information sharing with external agencies.
• Training records: training material governing the use, sharing, or access to any related data related to or collected by the face recognition software/technology, including the legal standard that is required before using the technology. Documents, should they exist, about training for bias in the use of facial recognition technology.
• Use and function records: Materials that describe the function of the software considered or in use by this agency, including emails, handouts, PowerPoint presentations, advertisements, or specification documents.
• Validation and accuracy: Records, reports, audits, and other documents sufficient to describe validation, accuracy, reliability, and policy compliance of the system.
Please limit the search to records produced from January 1, 2017 – present. Please include in your search as responsive records: communications, memorandums, background papers, meeting minutes, email exchanges, or presentation materials. If your office has questions about this request, please feel free to direct them to the address associated with this request or call the MuckRock office at 617-299-1832.
The requested documents will be made available to the general public, and this request is not being made for commercial purposes.
In the event that there are fees, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 3 business days, as the statute requires.
To Whom It May Concern:
I wanted to follow up on the following Colorado Public Records Law request, copied below, and originally submitted on July 2, 2019. Please let me know when I can expect to receive a response.
Thanks for your help, and let me know if further clarification is needed.
This is to inform you, your records request #6416 has been completed. APD has no responsive records germane to this request. Our purchasing department is not aware of any purchases for face recognition software.
We will now consider this request closed.
Lisa Horton, CMC
Municipal Records Supervisor | City of Aurora
office 303.739.7074 | direct 303.739.7095
[cid:image005.png@01D2B501.04BB3C60] <https://www.auroragov.org/> [cid:image006.png@01D2B501.04BB3C60] <https://www.auroragov.org/city_hall/core_4_values/>
Like us on:Facebook | Follow us on Twitter and YouTube
To Whom It May Concern:
I am appealing my records request that was sent on July 2, 2019 relating to the Aurora Police Department's use and solicitation of facial recognition software. I do not believe that a reasonable search was conducted with regard to my request and would like for the search to be run again.
As stated in my last email, I am also looking for any communication regarding the potential implementation of facial recognition software. This includes any unsolicited proposals or marketing material from facial recognition companies to the Aurora Police Department.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter.
We have received your appeal relating to Open Records Request #6141. Attached please find our response and additional responsive records germane to your new request.
Open Records Coordinator | Aurora Police Department
office 303.739.6267 | hours Mon-Fri 07:30-16:00 MT
Facebook <https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fauroragov&data=02%7C01%7C%7C0d031b74355b4c66f4af08d5b13f03f5%7C9cf07bc16fa24d49bc937acced6cc8d7%7C0%7C0%7C636609806550612320&sdata=GcMdF3VardtmiQvko28KIuFf6AaO9KhaGt5gfphErfE%3D&reserved=0> | Twitter <https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fauroragov&data=02%7C01%7C%7C0d031b74355b4c66f4af08d5b13f03f5%7C9cf07bc16fa24d49bc937acced6cc8d7%7C0%7C0%7C636609806550612320&sdata=tGvhYaQyj2%2Bd7Z0Y54v3SSrcLQ%2Fuf8fsNYqutMOuwVw%3D&reserved=0> | Instagram <https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.instagram.com%2Fauroragov%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7C0d031b74355b4c66f4af08d5b13f03f5%7C9cf07bc16fa24d49bc937acced6cc8d7%7C0%7C0%7C636609806550612320&sdata=f%2Fn4WxQCuYLw1bU1UB0DHNCC8%2BY5SbuawJ7JE8T8pYc%3D&reserved=0> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWu-Puzkp8hv9eSpnWkNxjA> | Request a Public Record<https://www.auroragov.org/city_hall/public_records>
This message and any attachments may be criminal justice records of the Aurora Police Department and disclosure is restricted and limited by law. Improper disclosure, copying, distribution or misuse of the information contained in or attached to this message is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient of this information, notify the sender of the delivery error immediately by replying to this message and then delete it from your system.