|Submitted||Jan. 3, 2013|
MuckRock users can file, duplicate, track, and share public records requests like this one. Learn more.
To Whom It May Concern:
Pursuant to the Colorado Open Records Act, I hereby request the following records:
1. any requests for proposals, proposals submitted by vendors, contracts, budgets or cost allocations for the purchase, research of and/or use of aerial drones, UAs, UAVs, and UASs (hereinafter “drones”);
2. any policies, guidelines, manuals and/or instructions on institutional use of drones, including on the legal process required (such as a warrant or court order), if any, before operating a drone;
3. any departmental records concerning this institution's use of and/or research of drones now or plans to use drones in the future including:
a. the types of investigations or instances in which this department is using or plans to use drones, or how it plans to support, manage or oversee the usage of drones by another department or office;
b. policies, guidelines, manuals and/or instructions on storage requirements or procedures for video or static images obtained through use of drones, including retention times;
c. the altitude at which drones can or do fly;
d. drones’ ability to carry weapons.
I also request that, if appropriate, fees be waived as I believe this request is in the public interest. The requested documents will be made available to the general public free of charge as part of the public information service at MuckRock.com, processed by a representative of the news media/press and is made in the process of news gathering and not for commercial usage.
In the event that fees cannot be waived, I would be grateful if you would inform me of the total charges in advance of fulfilling my request. I would prefer the request filled electronically, by e-mail attachment if available or CD-ROM if not.
Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation in this matter. I look forward to receiving your response to this request within 3 business days, as the statute requires.
This is in response to your open records request pertaining to the use of drones in law enforcement.
1. The Aurora Police Department has never used, and at this time there are no plans for the use of drones for law enforcement purposes. We have no proposals submitted by vendors, no contracts, no budget or cost allocations for the purchase. At one point in time, we inquired about a possible grant with the Division of Homeland Security but nothing transpired past the inquiry and no action was taken on our part to procure a grant.
2. The Aurora Police Department does not have any written policies, guidelines, manuals or instructions on institutional use of drones, including on the legal process required before operating a drone.
3. The Aurora Police Department does not have records concerning our use of and\or research of drones now or plans to use drones in the future.
We will waive fees for this inquiry. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us.